With the long weekend approaching and signs of good weather it's going to be tempting to get out of the house, but we urge you to STAY AT HOME! To make that a bit easier we are bringing you a 'Holiday From Home to Rome'!
With Covid-19 having us all locked down we're starting to get those inevitable itchy feet. For many of us, the Easter long weekend is the perfect time for a quick family vacation or a mini weekend away. This year things are drastically different, but we thought why not bring the holiday home, literally, into our home. So this Easter weekend whilst we #stayathome we will be embarking on a #holidayfromhome to Rome.
For us, Rome embodies the beauty, drama and elegance of Europe. Here's our top 'Holiday From Home' recommendations for a weekend in (home) Rome.
1) Get your glad rags on. The Rome experience wouldn't be complete without dressing to impress (yourself). That's right, get out of the pyjamas get your best holiday outfit on and feel fabulous!
2) Breakfast like the Italians! Start the day with a classic Italian beverage, the Bellini! It's your holiday so spoil yourself. You can find an excellent recipe here. Pair it with a delicious Egg Bruschetta:
Toast with a drizzle of olive oil,
Diced tomatoes with salt & pepper to taste
And a little more olive oil to top it off
3) Learn some Italian with Duolingo! Brush up on your language skills or learn some key phrases with Duolingo. It's free too and a great one to do with the kids. "Resta a casa!"
4) Something for the kids: Make art like the ancient Romans! Paper mosaics are easy and fun and will keep the kids entertained for hours! Check out this guide here.
5) Visit some of the incredible cultural sites of Rome. With free online access to museum collections and virtual tours you can embed yourself in Rome's history and culture:
Visit the Vatican's museum collection and a virtual tour of some of their most iconic rooms- including the Sistine Chapel, here.
The Trajan Market. An incredible look into ancient Roman life. Take a virtual tour of the market and view the array of artefacts here.
Visit the famous Capitoline Museums were some of Rome greatest treasures are housed. Visit the museum here.
For a preview of how ancient Rome once looked check out these 3d short films here.
There is an abundance of breathtaking art in Rome and one weekend in the Eternal City would barely scratch the surface. Take your time around the online exhibitions from Le Gallerie Degli Uffizi, here.
6) All that sight seeing will have worked up quite the appetite. Enjoy a classic Roman dinner:
8) Immerse yourself in Rome with one of these iconic films set in Rome:
La Dolce Vita
The Great Beauty
9) Donate. We know times are tough for everyone at the moment and the tourist and hospitality industries have been hit especially hard. There are lots of ways you can support the industries. Drop a review or purchase vouchers for your favourite hotel or restaurant for example!
The Colosseum, Rome's most iconic structure.
The Trajan Market in Rome.
Enjoy a mixed platter of all your favourite Italian meats and cheeses.
Classic Romano Pizza! Our Nassau Street store usually serves romano pizza too.